Turkish coffee is no ordinary coffee, not just because of its unique taste, but also because of the way in which it is made. Turkish coffee is primed using an Ibrik, in other words, a small coffee pot that is heated. During the brewing step, sugar is added. Sugar is never added afterward; therefore, no serving spoon is required. While sugar is optional, milk or cream shouldn’t be added. After brewing the perfect Turkish coffee, it should always be presented in demitasse cups.
In some areas, it’s possible to get your fortune told. Women do this by looking at the placement of the coffee left in your cup. They read different pictures and shapes that represent different situations and scenarios. There are many unique ways to read your fortune.
To make a perfect Turkish coffee you will need the following ingredients:
• A cup of water
• A small teaspoon of ground cardamom (alternatively use one cardamom pod)
• Some sugar (optional)
• One tablespoon of extra finely ground coffee
Before you start to make the coffee, there are some steps that you need to take. Firstly, bring some water and sugar to a boil in the ibrik. Alternatively, you can complete this step using a small saucepan. Then just remove ibrik or pan from the heat and add cardamom and coffee. Then again, place the ibrik over heat and allow the mixture to foam before removing it from heat again. Pour the mixture into a cup but don’t drink it immediately. Wait for a few minutes to allow the grounds to settle at the bottom of the cup. Cardamom can be given in a cup for extra taste.
If you follow the above instructions carefully, then you will be able to enjoy an excellent Turkish coffee. Below are some additional tips that will help:
• Always serve Turkish coffee with foam on the top.
• If you struggle to purchase finely ground Arabic coffee, then you can buy a packet of coffee from any coffee shop and ask them to grind it appropriately for Turkish coffee. It’s important that the coffee is a powder-like consistency.
• If you stir the coffee after pouring it into the cups, the foam will collapse so resist doing this, just leave it.
• Always prepare the coffee using cold water.